Welcome to the

Allerford Museum

Home of the West Somerset Rural Life Museum, The Victorian Schoolroom and The West Somerset Photographic Archive

Opening Times

School Visits

Accessibility

Support Us

About Us

Good to go

The Museum and Victorian School Room are housed in the old school at Allerford, leased to us by the National Trust. The school, built in 1821, was in use to 1981 and then, in 1984, it was reopened as the Rural Life museum, which is owned and administered by a committee of Trustees. The Trust is a Registered Charity which is completely self-supporting, and all the members of staff are volunteers.

Visitor Information

Displays

The exhibits are displayed in four areas of the old school premises; The Main Hall, The School Room, The Archive Room and Outside Displays.

Gallery

Be transported back in time and will probably recognise objects used daily by your parents, grandparents, local tradesmen and farmers.

Finding Us

The pretty village of Allerford lies off the A39 five miles from Minehead and one mile from Porlock and has interesting old cottages and a famous Packhorse Bridge.